The flavours in this homemade pesto recipe really come alive, and it's not even difficult to make. I used walnuts in this recipe instead of the traditional pine nuts which give a mellow flavour and a satisfying crunch. They also give you a healthy boost of omega-3.
- 2 cups / 50 g of fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup / 120 g walnuts
- ½ cup / 120 ml olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast to add a cheesy flavour (optional)
Here’s how you make it
- Place the basil, walnuts and garlic in a food processor.
- Pulse the mixture until all the ingredients are combined.
- Turn the blender on and gradually drizzle the olive oil into the mixture. Do this as the blender is running, and in small amounts at a time. You can always add more oil if it needs it.
- Add some salt and pepper to taste, the lemon juice and nutritional yeast if you are using it.
- Pulse a few more times to combine.
- Use in pastas, salads, as a spread in sandwiches, pancakes or however you like. Store it in the fridge and use within a few days.