This is hands-down the best granola around. I used to beg my dear mom-in-law to bring an extra suitcase filled with granola whenever she visited. Now I have been entrusted with the coveted recipe and make it for our little family. (Though it never seems as delicious as when she makes it!) We have it sprinkled on porridge, yoghurt or simply eaten as a snack. The entire kitchen smells heavenly from the toasty cinnamon-y goodness!
- 500 g organic gluten free rolled oats
- 360 g organic almonds, coarsely chopped
- 400 g organic sunflower seeds
- 240 ml organic extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 55 ml local honey
- 100 ml maple syrup (Grade B or C)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tbsp cinnamon
- a pinch of ground cloves
- 1 tbsp coarse or flakey sea salt
*optional – goji berries, raisins, chopped dried figs, apricots, dried cherries
Here’s how you make it
- Preheat oven to 165 C.
- Put the oats and nuts into a large bowl.
- Combine the olive oil, sweeteners, vanilla, spices and sea salt. Heat this mixture just long enough so it becomes liquid and the salt is mostly dissolved.
- Pour the oil mixture over the dry ingredients and toss until everything is moistened evenly.
- Spread the mixture on a parchment lined sheet pan, making sure it isn’t spread too thinly as it can burn. The granola clumps better when it is spread slightly thicker.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 20 minutes. Mix everything at ten minutes and then again when the timer goes off at 20 minutes. Leave for additional time if you want it ‘toastier’.
- Turn off the oven and leave the granola (untouched!) until the oven cools (preferably overnight) to crisp and ‘clump’ it.
- If adding optional dried fruits, wait until the granola has cooled.
- Store in an airtight glass jar and enjoy!