Pumpkin and Mushroom Risotto
This hearty risotto is perfect in autumn for using up any left over pumpkin. It goes well with a rocket salad.
- 100 g arborio rice
- ½ whole onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 sprinkle chives
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 100 ml white wine
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- ¼ pumpkin, chopped
- 1 handful mushrooms, for the risotto
- 1 handful mushrooms, to accompany
- 3 whole chestnuts
- 1 sprinkle parmesan cheese (optional)
Here’s how you make it
- For the risotto, warm up the olive oil and add the onions and garlic. Don’t let them brown, otherwise it will interfere with the colour and taste. Add the mushrooms and the pumpkin.
- Add the rice. Give it a shock and add the first ladle of vegetable broth – stir until the liquid has been absorbed. Alternate between the broth and the wine, until the rice is cooked. Some chefs say ideally for 11 mins.
- Meanwhile prepare the mushrooms in a pan.
- When the risotto is ready, add the herbs, cheese and the cooked chestnuts.
- Serve with something fresh. Rocket or any other seasonal salad.