The UN has declared 2016 the International Year of Pulses. It's the perfect excuse to fill out a salad with wonderful, protein-packed lentils. I love making simple salads in the summer with some fresh herbs and this recipe is ideal for experimenting with – you can play with the quantities and add almost anything you like.
- 150 g black lentils (brown or green lentils will also work, red lentils might get a bit soft)
- 100 g rocket
- 6 mushrooms
- 1 lemon
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Here’s how you make it
- Cook the lentils according to the instructions on the packet.
- While the lentils are cooking, rinse and drain the rocket and chop the mushrooms and fresh rosemary.
- Zest the lemon and add it to a small bowl with the olive oil and rosemary.
- Once the lentils are ready, you can either rinse and let them cool for a cold salad, or rinse quickly and use them hot.
- Mix the lentils, rocket and mushrooms together in a large bowl, and pour over the mixture of rosemary, lemon and oil.
- Add the juice of the lemon to the salad and then combine.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste, and a drizzle more olive oil if you think it needs it.
- Enjoy as a main, side salad or a snack.