This is so easy to make and such a healing food for your digestive system and your whole body. It supports the immune system and picks you up when you are down – chicken soup for the soul. Drink it as it is or add it to other soups and sauces as a foundation. It should be like a gel when it's cooled down in the fridge.
- 1 organic chicken, preferably with liver, heart etc.
- 1 big carrot
- 1 onion
- ½ celery root
- 1 leek
- 1 parsley root
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2–3 bay leaves
- 5 juniper berries, dried
- Himalayan salt
- Water to cover all the ingredients, approximately 1–2 litres
Here’s how you make it
- Rinse the chicken.
- Chop all the vegetables into big chunks and the onion in half.
- Heat the coconut oil in a big pot and add the onion, cut side down. Let it heat through.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and stir them a little.
- Add the chicken, bay leaves, juniper berries and water to cover the ingredients.
- Heat it until it boils and then reduce the heat so that it simmers for 24 hours. Skim the fat occasionally.
- If you leave the house you can turn it off and then continue simmering once you return, for a total of between 24–48 hours.
- Allow it to cool down slightly, and then strain through a sieve. Discard the solids.
- Add salt and pour the liquid into a glass container. Allow it to cool down and then store in the fridge for up to seven days, or 3 months in the freezer.