Fructopia’s Rhubarb & Strawberry Galette
I found this gem in my friend’s Deniz Fıçıcıoğlu's low-fructose cookbook “Fructopia”. It's really creative and use of flavour can really make you fall in love with fructose-free food.
for the dough:
- 130 g light spelt flour (type 630)
- 70 g buckwheat flour
- 110 g coconut oil
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 2-4 tbsp ice water
for the filling:
- 150 g rhubarb (1-2 stalks)
- 80 g strawberries
- 1 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 1 tbsp warm water
- ¼ tbsp ground aniseed
Here’s how you make it
- Mix the flour and salt in a bowl. Add the rice syrup and the coconut oil and mix it together with your hands, adding the ice water, tablespoon by tablespoon. You don’t want the dough to be sticky, so don’t add too much water. Chill the dough for 20 minutes in the fridge. Preheat the oven to 190 C.
- Wash the strawberries and peel the rhubarb, then cut both into small pieces. Add rice syrup, aniseed, warm water and the strawberries and rhubarb in a bowl and mix.
- Roll the dough out on parchment paper and add the fruit mix in the middle of the dough. Leave some room at the edges, which you then fold up around the filling. If it cracks or tears, just pinch it back into place. Sprinkle the edges of the dough with a little water.
- Bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes until the dough is golden brown.
- Serve after it has cooled down a little with a little coconut cream.
This recipe is from Deniz Fıçıcıoğlu‘s low-fructose cookbook – Fructopia.