Turmeric is great for gut health because it reduces inflammation. However, it needs to be dissolved in oil to be absorbed by the body. That's why you add the turmeric to the coconut oil first. The same applies if you are using it in a salad dressing too, mix it first with some oil and then add lemon or vinegar. Adding black pepper to the latte helps your body absorb the turmeric even more.
- 1/2 cm fresh turmeric, grated
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 250 ml almond milk – or you can use your favourite
- a pinch of ground black pepper
- a touch of local, raw organic honey to sweeten if you like (optional, or use maple syrup if you are making a vegan version)
Here’s how you make it
- Grate the turmeric and add it to the coconut oil together with the black pepper. Stir for a few moments so that they mix. If your nails turn bright yellow afterwards, you can try to remove the colour by rubbing lemon on them.
- Add the milk and continue stirring for a few minutes. I prefer to use almond milk, but you can use your favourite.
- Pour it through a tea strainer into a cup or glass, and if you like you can sweeten it a little.
- Relax, smell and enjoy!