Tuna Burgers with Mustard Beetroot Salad
Tuna and beetroot are two of my favourite ingredients. These burgers are meaty and make a pleasant change from beef. The tangy mustard beetroot salad is the perfect contrast and make a fresh, healthy dinner. To serve you can also make a lime mayonnaise, which can be egg free if you use an egg-less mayonnaise.
for the burgers:
- 600 g fresh tuna steak
- 10 g pitted black olives
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves
- 4 spring onions
- 1 fresh red chili, finely chopped
for the mustard beetroot salad:
- 500 g fresh beetroot
- 200 g rocket
- 25 g English mustard (always read the ingredients)
- 25 g wholegrain mustard (always read the ingredients)
- 1 splash olive oil
for the lime mayonnaise (optional):
- 8 tbsp mayonnaise (always read the ingredients)
- the juice of one lime
- a sprinkle of lime zest
Here’s how you make it
- Finely chop all the ingredients and place them in a mixing bowl or blend them in a food processor if you are using one.
- Tip the mixture out on to a clean work surface and divide into four equal pieces.
- Wet your hands (so the tuna won’t stick to them) and shape the mixture – first into balls, then flatten them down into burgers. Place them in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- While your burgers are chilling, chop off the beetroot stalks and boil whole for around 50 minutes or until the beetroot is soft in the middle and the skin is coming away.
- Drain the beetroot and peel the skins, chop it into quarters and leave to cool.
- While the beetroot is cooling, mix the English and wholegrain mustard together with a dash of olive oil.
- Once the beetroot is cool, mix the mustard dressing over the beetroot and serve on a bed of rocket.
- If you are serving the burgers with lime mayonnaise, add some of the lime zest and all the lime juice to the mayonnaise and mix thoroughly.
- When you’re ready to cook the beetroot burgers, brush them with olive oil and heat a griddle pan up to a high temperature. Cook the burgers for 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through (it’s okay if the burgers are still a little pink inside).
- Serve the burgers with with the mustard, beetroot and rocket salad. Put some lime mayonnaise on top of the burger if you are using it.