This recipe is easy to make, really tasty and not too sweet. The sweet potato is a smooth, fudge-like base, but nobody would ever guess that there is sweet potato in it! You can also add in fruits and nuts, or top it off with whipped coconut cream. It's my go-to dessert to make for Christmas gatherings with family and friends. The best thing is, it's vegan, gluten free and sugar free, so you can share it with as many people as possible!
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes
- 2/3 cup ground almonds
- ½ cup buckwheat flour (or brown rice flour as an alternative)
- 14 dates, destoned
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- a pinch of salt
Here’s how you make it
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into chunks.
- Boil the sweet potato until it’s soft – roughly 20 minutes.
- Once it’s soft, transfer it to a food processor or blender with the dates and blend until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine the other ingredients together. Add this to the food processor and blend again until everything is combined
- Line an oven dish with baking paper and spoon the mixture into it. Smooth the surface with a fork or spoon.
- Bake for around 20 minutes. Test by inserting a knife or fork, and if it comes out clean it’s ready. If not, bake for a few minutes longer.
- Allow to cool completely, and then take it out of the dish and then cut into squares.
- Serve and share!