Christmas Cabbage and Pear
Inspired by the traditional German Rotkohl, this dish is a fusion of all those favourite festive spices that we know so well, but with a bit of a twist! Try experimenting with the spices, cooking oils and using apple instead of pear. Serve it as a simple side or, if you are can't get enough, make it the base for any Christmas meal you’re preparing.
- 1 red cabbage approximately 750g
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 whole raw beetroot
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp of ground anise
- 12 cloves
- 2 tsp of coriander
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- 500ml vegetable broth
- 200g pear
- 1 tsp rice syrup (optional)
- 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
Here’s how you make it
- Peel and chop the raw beetroot.
- Place the coconut oil in a big pan and let it melt.
- When it’s hot, add the beetroot, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices – the bayleaf, cinnamon, nutmeg, anise and coriander.
- Add the red cabbage and red wine vinegar and let it simmer, covered for 5 minutes.
- Roughly chop the pear into long strands. I prefer chunky fruit and vegetables but you can decide how you’d like to present it.
- Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Allow to cool.
- Enjoy this dish hot or cold!