Portobello Booster Bowl
The booster bowl gently nurtures the body with the balance it strikes between the grounding properties of the brown rice, mushrooms and brazil nuts with the lighter, sweeter flavours of the beetroot and spinach. Season with plenty of pepper and bring the heavier elements of the mushroom and brazil nut topping to life.
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 2 handfuls brazil nuts
- ½ an aubergine
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- a generous drizzle of olive oil
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- sea salt & black pepper for seasoning
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ bag fresh spinach
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 boiled beetroot
- 1 red onion
- 2 cups short grain brown rice (pre-soaking is optional)
- 1 strip of kombu soaked in a cup of water (optional)
- rocket for a peppery salad
- a handful of mung bean sprouts
Here’s how you make it
- If you are pre-soaking the rice, place in a bowl covered with water and soak for up to 6-8 hours. I always wash the rice well before cooking.
- Pre-soak a small strip of kombu for at least half an hour if you are using it.
- Once the rice has been soaked, washed and covered with water, add salt along with the kombu strip and soaking water.
- Place on a medium heat and cook uncovered for ten minutes.
- In the meantime, turn the grill onto a high heat. Place the mushrooms on a baking tray.
- Place the brazil nuts, aubergine, plum tomatoes, tomato purée, salt and pepper in a food processor. Add the olive oil and then blend at high speed until the mixture is thoroughly combined but not too smooth.
- Spoon the mixture onto the mushrooms and place under the grill towards the top of the oven.
- Partially cover the pan of rice after 10 minutes – do not stir.
- Slice the beetroot and zucchini into cubes and add sliced red onion – heat a frying pan with a tablespoon of coconut oil, salt and pepper and fry on a medium heat until softened.
- For the last 5 minutes of cooking cover the rice and when it’s ready, remove from the heat and cover with a tea towel and lid – leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the frying pan and combine with the rest of the mixture.
- Remove the mushrooms from the grill when they are golden brown.
- Serve the rice, beetroot mixture and salad in bowls and enjoy!