Beetroot and Almond Flourless Chocolate Cake
This cake never fails to impress. You can make it in a tray, as brownies, or in a small round tin for a more traditional cake. It's gluten-free, vegan and super chocolatey. Serve on its own, with fresh fruit or whipped coconut cream.
- 250 g ground almonds
- 250 g dark chocolate
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 300 g cooked beetroot
- 100 g sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground flax seeds
- ¼ tsp salt
Here’s how you make it
- Pre-heat your oven to 150 C, if you know your oven heats up very hot then it’s best to stay on the cooler side or else the chocolate could burn.
- Line a 22cm (9in) cake tin or brownie pan with baking paper.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and let it melt gently in a bowl over some hot water.
- While the chocolate is melting, mash or blend the cooked beetroot in a large bowl. Stir in the ground flax seeds and let the mixture sit for a few minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients one by one, folding to combine after each one.
- Finally, stir in the melted chocolate. Transfer the mixture to your lined cake tin and pop into the oven for 40 minutes or so. We prefer it a bit soft, so we would take them out then, but you can leave it to bake for a tiny bit longer for a more cake-like texture.
- Decorate with anything you like, we used flaked almonds.
- Serve and share!