Quinoa Burger Mix Salad
This quinoa salad started off as a burger recipe, but it is great as it is. It's so simple, but I really love it and both my children ask for it when they come home. On a hot day enjoy it as a salad, but you can also shape the mixture into burgers and bake for 20 minutes or until they turn golden brown. It goes particularly well with my pineapple and tomato salsa.
- 180 g quinoa (1 cup)
- 4 large mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 50 g walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder, to taste
- 1 tsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari, to taste
- 1 tbsp sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- zest of one lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 spring onion
- 1 handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- pepper to taste
Here’s how you make it
- Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the packet. Drain it well, or the salad will be watery.
- While the quinoa is cooking, add the sunflower oil to a frying pan and add the mushrooms, onion, garlic and salt. Fry until the mushrooms have shrunk down – about 5 minutes or so.
- If you have time, allow the quinoa to cool down. Then mix it in a bowl with the fried mushrooms onion and garlic.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Taste the mixture and add more seasoning if you think it needs it.
- Serve as a salad just how it is, or shape the quinoa mixture into balls. You can also form it into burger patties and bake them at 180C for approximately 20 minutes to make delicious, healthy burgers.
- Drizzle generously with the pineapple and tomato salsa.