I love quinoa. I love watching the little seeds spring to life as the simmering water feeds it. I love the nutty smell and flavour that these little gems radiate. It's healthy, easy to prepare and goes with everything. The dressing can be added to any salad, grains or leafy greens, it brightens everything up visually and gives the salad a fresh zesty taste.
for the Quinoa Salad:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 packet feta, chopped (optional)
- 1 handful of fresh mint
- 1 handful of walnuts, crushed
- 1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 apple, chopped
- 2 medium beetroots, chopped
- 1 lime
- a generous drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper for seasoning
for the Beetroot Dressing:
- 2 beetroots, boiled
- 2 limes
Here’s how you make it
- Simmer the quinoa with a dash of oil and some salt. When it’s ready, drain and place in a bowl and add a generous drizzle of olive oil.
- Add the crushed walnuts to the quinoa.
- Add the apple and feta to the mixture and the juice of one lime.
- Place the beetroot in a blender. You can either boil them at home before you chop it or buy them already boiled, but don’t use pickled beetroot. If the beetroot is packaged, add the remaining juice.
- Add the juice of the remaining two limes along with a pinch of salt and a dash of olive oil.
- Purée the beetroot mixture until it’s thick and creamy. If the consistency is too thick, add more lime juice, olive oil or even some water to help thin it out.
- Add the zesty beetroot purée to the quinoa mix and toss to fuse everything together.
- Serve and enjoy! You’ll have some beetroot purée left over, you can keep this in the fridge for a few days and add it to any salad.