Poached Pears with Autumn Spices
Serve these pears by themselves as a simple dessert or add them to your breakfast. Just plop a slice or two in your morning porridge while it’s cooking, so yummy!
- 4 medium Bosc pears that are just starting to ripen
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean
- 4 pieces whole allspice
- 1 star anise
- 2 pieces whole black pepper
- Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
Here’s how you make it
- Peel, core and quarter the pears.
- Place in a medium pot and cover with water. Add the honey and spices.
- Simmer covered until the pears are tender, 25-30 mins. When they are tender turn off heat and leave to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with some of the juice and a fresh sprig of thyme if desired.
- Poached pears will keep several days in an airtight container in the fridge.