This creamy dessert is one of my son, Tom's favourites. It's sweet, delicious and very comforting. It's great for if you have guests round.
For the pudding:
- 3 cups cold milk
- ½ cups semolina
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp rose water
For the syrup:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
For the topping:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts
Here’s how you make it
- Pour the milk into a large saucepan and bring to a boil over a medium-high heat. Reduce the heat, and slowly pour in the semolina in a steady stream, stirring continuously. Continue to stir and cook until the mixture thickens and boils for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the egg yolk and rose water. Pour the mixture into a serving dish, or individual dishes.
- Allow the pudding to cool slightly and cover. Refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Heat 1 cup of the sugar and the water in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Cook until the mixture turns golden brown. Remove immediately from the heat.
- Add the lemon juice to the sugar syrup, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and chill.
- Just before you want to serve, whip the whipping cream with sugar and the contents of the vanilla pod until it forms stiff peaks. Spread a thin layer of whipped cream over the pudding.
- Sprinkle chopped pistachios over it. Cut into squares, and serve with the syrup poured around it.